Biryani rice with olives stuffed with pimiento
- 200 g of olives stuffed with Pimiento
- 300 g basmati rice
- 600 ml water
- 1 onion cut julienne style
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- Chopped vegetables for sauce (ripe tomato, peas, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, potatoes)
- Ground spices (coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric)
- Whole spices (green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf)
- 100 g plain yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp minced fresh mint
- 1 diced tomato
- Food coloring
- 60 ml milk
- Vegetable oil
1. Wash the rice in a pot with water until starch is removed. Let it rest in its cooking water for 1 hour. Cook over medium heat until the grain is still a bit raw, strain the rice removing the water and reserve for the next step.
2. In a frying pan make the sofrito starting with the onion until it is tender and golden. Add the garlic and ginger paste and the potatoes, fry for a few minutes to soften. Add the rest of the chopped vegetables and all the spices (whole and ground). When they are tender, add the yogurt, mix and remove from the heat and finally add half of the olives. Add salt to taste.
3. In a saucepan put a base of sofrito and on top the rice. Finish by sprinkling, fresh chopped cilantro, mint, a few cubes of tomato, the rest of the olives and a few drops of milk with the dissolved food coloring so that it stains in dots. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove to serve.
4. When serving take the rice with a ladle from the bottom so that you can see “the layers” on the plate.
5. Decorate the rice with some olives on top.